Research from consulting firm Mako Analysis on handset trends has come up with a clutch of forecasts for the immediate future. They include these predictions:
- Black and pink may be the favoured colours today, but more shades will be used as manufacturers seek to extend the shelf life of their product lines.
- Despite industry hype, 2006 will not be the year of HSDPA.
- Bluetooth connectivity will finally penetrate into low-end device segments, and infrared will start to be phased out.
- 3G will finally match the physical characteristics of high-end 2G handsets.
- Mobile music will form a key battleground for handset manufacturers “but the winners and losers will surprise many.”
- Camera technology will see many advances, with 5 mega pixel models emerging in 2006.
- Users are generally unwilling to sacrifice aesthetics and usability for advances in technology.